Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What is Art?

Happy Tuesday!

I have been having a rough week or so--I have been extremely under the weather but I am finally recovering I hope.

Last week, at the end of my blog, I talked about wishing that art meant something. I have put a few quotations below on what people think art is (or isn't for that matter). Maybe there are people out there who have different ideas about art than I do (that is guaranteed). In the spirit of the political debates, let's debate what we think art is.  I'm sure this will be a very spirited discussion!!


A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
Oscar Wilde 


An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have.
Andy Warhol


The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
Pablo Picasso


The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
Aristotle


I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.
Georgia O'Keeffe


The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person.
Abraham Lincoln


Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher


Do you agree?  Disagree?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment